Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, holds great significance for Muslims around the world as a time of fasting, prayer, reflection, and community bonding. The coastal region of Kenya is home to a sizeable Muslim population who participate reverently in the holy month, emphasizing community, charity, and spiritual growth. In Kenya, Ramadan 2023 began on the 23rd of March and is expected to run until April 21st, subject to moon sightings.
Key aspects of Ramadan include:
- Fasting: Muslims worldwide fast from dawn to sunset throughout the entire month of Ramadan. They abstain from food, drink, and other physical needs during daylight hours to exercise self-discipline and demonstrate devotion to their faith.
- Prayer and reflection: Muslims take part in additional prayers called Taraweeh, which they perform after the Isha prayer (night prayer) during Ramadan. Mosques and prayer spaces around the world offer serene environments for prayer and reflection during this holy month.
- Community gatherings: Ramadan fosters community bonding and sharing globally. Many people attend communal Iftar dinners, where family, friends, and neighbors gather to break their fast at sunset. These gatherings help strengthen social ties and promote unity within the Muslim community.
- Charity and good deeds: Muslims worldwide prioritize giving to the less fortunate during Ramadan, which is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. Many people donate food, money, and other essentials to those in need and participate in charitable activities throughout the month.
- Eid al-Fitr: Muslims celebrate the end of Ramadan with Eid al-Fitr, a significant religious holiday. This day features communal prayers, feasting, and gift-giving. Families and friends come together to celebrate the successful completion of a month of fasting and spiritual growth.
Ramadan Calendar 2023
As we approach Ramadan 2023, it’s essential to prepare for the sacred month by knowing the specific Sehar and Iftar timings. To help our Muslim brothers and sisters in Mombasa plan their daily prayers and meals during this holy month, we have compiled a detailed Ramadan calendar for March and April 2023.
Please note that the timings mentioned in the calendar are subject to moon sightings and may vary slightly.
Tana River Region
For more Ramadan related resources resources click here