Saving The Colobus Monkeys of Diani
In the lush landscapes of Diani, Kenya, the rapid urban development has unwittingly brought about a perilous threat to the local wildlife, particularly the Angolan Colobus Monkey. The installation of electric power lines has inadvertently turned these pathways into death traps, leading to an alarming increase in electrocution incidents. Colobus Conservation, a not-for-profit organization, has launched a vital initiative to protect these endangered primates by insulating power lines at identified electrocution ‘hotspots.’ Here’s your chance to contribute to the cause and make a real difference in preserving Kenya’s unique biodiversity.
The expanding urbanization of Diani has necessitated additional power lines, posing a significant challenge to the colobus monkeys. Tragically, these power lines have become easy but deadly pathways for the primates, resulting in a staggering 30% of non-natural monkey deaths annually. Over the last five years alone, 93 colobus monkeys have suffered electrocution-related fatalities, signalling an urgent need for action.
Colobus Conservation has developed a comprehensive plan to address this crisis:
- Tree Trimming: Working in collaboration with Kenya Power, the organization is committed to regularly trimming trees close to power lines, reducing the risk of electrocution.
- Advocacy for Insulated Power Lines: Colobus Conservation aims to lobby Kenya Power to install only insulated power lines and transformers in areas frequented by primates, ensuring a safer environment for the colobus monkeys.
- Community Engagement: Encouraging property owners to insulate existing power lines within their grounds, fostering a collective effort to protect the primates.
- Direct Action: With your support, Colobus Conservation plans to buy and install insulation on 6,200 meters of power lines at identified electrocution ‘hotspots.’ Every $50 donation can insulate 20 meters, making a tangible impact on the safety of these endangered monkeys.
The insulation of power lines associated with electrocution ‘hotspots’ is not just a short-term fix but a sustainable solution with far-reaching benefits. By reducing the number of colobus monkeys killed or maimed, this initiative contributes significantly to the preservation of the IUCN Vulnerable species. Moreover, it aims to inspire developers and Kenya Power to prioritize insulated power lines in future installations, setting an example for residents on how they too can play a crucial role in preserving the majestic colobus monkeys.
About Colobus Conservation
Colobus Conservation, founded in January 1997, is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the long-term survival of the Angolan black and white colobus monkey and other primates on the South Coast of Kenya. Recognized internationally for its work, the organization addresses various aspects, including habitat conservation, community linkages, conflict management, welfare, education, and eco-tourism awareness programs.
How You Can Help
Your compassion and action can directly impact the survival of the endangered colobus monkeys in Diani, Kenya. Here’s how you can contribute to the crucial efforts of Colobus Conservation in preventing the electrocution of these magnificent creatures:
1. Donate with M-Pesa: Your financial support is instrumental in insulating power lines and creating a safer environment for colobus monkeys. To donate, use M-Pesa Pay Bill: 891300, Account: GG61853. Your generosity will go directly towards the insulation of power lines, safeguarding the colobus monkeys and ensuring a brighter future for Kenya’s unique wildlife.
2. Visit the Global Giving Page: Explore Colobus Conservation’s GlobalGiving campaign page, Stop the Electrocution of Colobus Monkeys. Here, you can find more information about the campaign, the organization’s mission, and make secure online donations. Every contribution, regardless of size, makes a meaningful impact.
3. Spread the Word: Awareness is a powerful tool in wildlife conservation. Share the Global Giving campaign link, Stop the Electrocution of Colobus Monkeys, with your friends, family, and colleagues. Encourage others to join the cause, amplifying the reach and impact of the campaign.
Join Colobus Conservation in the fight against electrocution and be a part of the solution to protect the endangered colobus monkeys of Diani. Together, we can make a lasting impact on the conservation of Kenya’s rich biodiversity.