Tips for Flying to Mombasa: Everything You Need to Know for planning.
If you’re planning a trip to Mombasa, Kenya, you’re in for a treat! Mombasa is a beautiful coastal city that offers a unique blend of culture, history, and natural beauty. However, traveling to a new destination can be overwhelming, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the area.
That’s why we’ve created the ultimate guide to Mombasa to help you plan your trip.
In this guide, we’ll provide you with essential information about the airport and the airlines that fly to Mombasa. We’ll also cover transportation options from the airport to downtown Mombasa and offer tips for getting around the city.
Whether you’re a first-time visitor or a seasoned traveller, this guide will equip you with all the necessary information and tips to make your trip to Mombasa a smooth and hassle-free experience.
About Moi International Airport
Moi International Airport (IATA: MBA, ICAO: HKMO) is a vital transportation hub located in Mombasa, Kenya, serving the city and the surrounding regions. It acts as the primary gateway for international and domestic flights to Mombasa and is the second busiest airport in Kenya, after Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi. Managed by the Kenya Airports Authority, the airport received recognition as the “Best Airport in Africa” (under 2 million passengers annually) by Airports Council International earlier this year. Named after former Kenyan President Daniel Arap Moi, the airport features two runways, with Runway 1 equipped with an Instrument Landing System (ILS) for precise aircraft navigation. The airport has two terminals, with Terminal 1 primarily used for international flights and Terminal 2 used for domestic flights. At an elevation of 61 meters above sea level, Moi International Airport plays a crucial role in facilitating air travel and connecting people and communities in the region.
Which airlines operate flights to Moi International Airport, and what are their destinations?
International flight to and from Mombasa:
Kenya Airways: Operates direct flights from various countries as well as connecting flights to various destinations in Africa and beyond.
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines: Operating flights from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, connecting passengers to over 150 destinations worldwide.
South African Airways: Operating flights from Johannesburg, connecting passengers to various destinations in South Africa and beyond.
British Airways: Operating direct flights from London Heathrow Airport and connecting flights from various destinations in Europe and beyond.
Qatar Airways: Operating flights from Doha, connecting passengers to various destinations in Asia, Europe, and beyond.
Emirates: Operating flights from Dubai, connecting passengers to various destinations in the Middle East, Asia, and beyond.
Turkish Airlines: Operating flights from Istanbul, connecting passengers to various destinations in Europe, Asia, and Africa.
Swiss International Air Lines: Operating flights from Zurich, connecting passengers to various destinations in Europe and beyond.
TUI Airways: Operating seasonal flights from Milan-Malpensa, Rome-Fiumicino, and Verona.
Eurowings: Operating flights from Düsseldorf, Hamburg, and Stuttgart, connecting passengers to various destinations in Europe and beyond.
Hahn Air: Operating flights from Düsseldorf, connecting passengers to various destinations in Europe and beyond.
Neos: Operating flights from Milan-Malpensa, Rome-Fiumicino, and Verona, connecting passengers to various destinations in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas.
Regional Airlines Flying to Mombasa:
Ethiopian Airlines: Operating flights from Addis Ababa, connecting passengers to various destinations in Africa, Europe, and Asia.
RwandAir: Operating flights from Kigali, connecting passengers to various destinations in Africa, Europe, and Asia.
Uganda Airlines: Operating flights from Entebbe, connecting passengers to various destinations in Africa.
Domestic Airlines Flying to Mombasa:
- Fly540: Operating flights from Nairobi, connecting passengers to various destinations in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Jambojet: Operating flights from Nairobi and other destinations in Kenya.
- SafariLink: Operating flights from Nairobi and other destinations in Kenya.
- Silverstone Air Services: Operating flights from Nairobi and other destinations in Kenya.
- Airkenya Express: Operating flights from Nairobi and other destinations in Kenya.
- Skyward Express: Operating flights from Nairobi and other destinations in Kenya.
- Flight link: Operating flights from Nairobi and other destinations
What is the cheapest time of year to travel to Mombasa?
The cheapest time to fly to Mombasa is usually in March.
What are the popular and off-season travel months in Mombasa?
As a popular tourist destination, the time of year you visit can have a big impact on your experience and budget. Here’s what you need to know about the most popular and off-season travel months in Mombasa:
- Peak Season: August is the most popular month to visit Mombasa for international tourists. It’s a great time to enjoy the beaches, go on safari, and experience the local culture, but it’s also the busiest and most expensive time to travel to Mombasa.
- Off-Season: The rainy season in Mombasa runs from April to June and October to November. These months are typically the least popular for travel, as the weather can be unpredictable, and some activities may be limited. However, this can also be a great time to find deals on flights and accommodations.
- Shoulder Season: The months of January to March and July to September are considered the shoulder season in Mombasa. The weather is still good, and there are fewer crowds than during the peak season. This can be a great time to visit if you want to avoid the crowds but still enjoy good weather.
What are some tips for finding cheap flights to Mombasa?
- Book in advance: Booking your flight at least 2-3 months before your travel date can help you get the best prices.
- Use price comparison websites: Use price comparison websites like Kayak, Skyscanner, Expedia, Trip, Booking.com or Google Flights to compare prices across different airlines and find the best deals.
- Look up different airlines that have flights to Mombasa: Don’t limit yourself to just one airline. Check out different airlines that fly to Mombasa and compare prices.
- Browse different departure dates from the same month: The price of flights can vary significantly depending on the day of the week and time of day you’re flying. Look at different dates within the same month to find the cheapest options.
- Filter for different departure times from the same day: Similarly, the time of day you’re flying can also affect the price of your ticket. Try filtering for different departure times on the same day to see if you can find a cheaper option.
- Check for discount information on various social media sites: Follow airlines on social media to stay up-to-date on any discounts or promotions they may be offering.
- Sign up for airline newsletters: Airlines often offer exclusive deals and discounts to their subscribers, so sign up for their newsletters to stay up-to-date.
- Use airline miles or credit card rewards: If you have airline miles or credit card rewards, you can use them to book your flight to Mombasa and save money.
- Explore deals and discounts on airline websites: Airlines often offer special deals and discounts on their websites. Be sure to check their website regularly to take advantage of these offers.
What are the flight durations to Mombasa from different cities?
Nairobi: A journey from Nairobi to Mombasa typically takes around 1 hour.
Addis Ababa: If departing from Addis Ababa, the estimated flight duration to Mombasa is about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Dublin: Travelers flying from Dublin to Mombasa can expect a flight duration of roughly 16 hours and 44 minutes. This is due to the absence of direct flights and one or more layovers being necessary.
Dubai: The estimated flight duration from Dubai to Mombasa is approximately 5 hours and 25 minutes.
Zanzibar Town: From Zanzibar Town, the flight duration to Mombasa is approximately 45 minutes.
Diani Beach: If you’re departing from Diani Beach, the flight duration to Mombasa is approximately 20 minutes.
What are some packing tips for a flight to Mombasa?
- Essential items to pack include a passport, official ID, credit cards, vital medications, electronic gadgets, chargers, neck pillow, headphones, toiletries, and a spare change of clothes
- Avoid packing full-sized bottles of shampoo and hair gel in your hand luggage
- Don’t pack liquids larger than 3.4 ounces (100 millilitres)
- Avoid packing sharp or pointed objects
- Do not pack dangerous goods that are flammable or explosive
What to Wear on a Flight to Mombasa?
- Prioritize comfort over style.
- Wear flat shoes that are slightly roomy to prevent your feet from swelling.
- Opt for clothing that allows for ease of movement, such as stretchy pants or loose-fitting clothes.
- Consider wearing compression tights or socks to improve circulation and reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis.
- Layer your clothing to adjust to changing temperatures on the flight.
- Bring a light jacket or sweater in case the cabin is chilly.
- Don’t forget to stretch your legs and walk around the cabin periodically to promote circulation.
What tips can help travellers get through airport security faster when flying to Mombasa?
- Have your boarding pass and travel ID ready to show to airport security.
- Take off anything that is likely to set off the alarm, such as your belt, jacket, and earphones.
- All electronic gadgets, including your phone and tablet, will need to be scanned separately.
- Liquids or gels, such as perfume or hairspray, must be no greater than 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) and fit inside a quart-size (one litter), clear zip-close bag.
- Slip-on shoes are recommended, as you may need to take your shoes off for scanning.
- Prohibited items, such as sharp or pointed objects, must be packed in your checked baggage. They won’t be allowed on board.
What are the transportation options for getting from Moi International Airport to downtown Mombasa?
Taxi: The most convenient option is to take a taxi, which takes about 20 minutes to get to downtown Mombasa. However, during peak hours, it may take longer. Most popular taxi hailing apps are available in Kenya along with local ones like, little cab.
Private Transfers: You can also book private transfers in advance. Many hotels and travel agencies offer this service.
Hotel Shuttles: If you’re staying at a hotel in Mombasa, they may offer a shuttle service to and from the airport. Be sure to check with your hotel before you arrive.
Public Transportation: Buses and matatus (shared mini buses) are available at the airport and are a cheaper option, but they may be crowded and not the most comfortable option. It’s important to keep in mind that they may not drop you off at your exact destination.
What other airports are located in the coastal region of Kenya?
Malindi Airport – located in Malindi town, Kilifi County
Ukunda Airport – located in Diani, Kwale County
Vipingo Airport – located in Vipingo, Kilifi County
Lamu Airport – located in Lamu town, Lamu County